A Trip to Culture!
Greek Parliament
FHW
Acropolis
 
 
 
Related
Links:
Greek Parliament
 
Teen Parliament
 
Foundation of Hellenic World
Foundation of the Hellenic World
 

4000 years of Hellenic Costume

FHW exhibition: Every year this day
 
Greek History
on line
A. THE OLD PALACE
The building, which houses Parliament, was initially constructed as the Palace of Otto, the first king of Greece. The area where the Palace was to be constructed was carefully chosen and the works began in 1836. The drawings were made by Friedrich Gaertner, a famous architect, who had inter alia designed the Royal Palace of Munich and the Ermitage Museum of St. Petesburg. Six years later, the building was completed. Otto's family lived there for twenty years and the building was then inhabited by the royal family of Gluecksburg. In 1884 a fire broke out and it destroyed the north section of the building causing great damage to the Palace. A second fire in December 1909 burnt down the main section of the Palace. The royal family then moved to the summer residence of Dekeleia ( Tatoi) and never returned to the old Palace. The old Palace building remained uninhabited until 1929.

B. THE PRESENT PARLIAMENT
The old Palace in Syntagma Square was used in later times for a different purpose. In 1929 the Government decided that the Parliament should be removed from the Old Chamber of Deputies in Stadiou Street to the Old Palace. The architect Andreas Kriezis was entrusted with the task of transforming the building. The works for the modification of the Old Palace began in the summer of 1930. The main section, which was destroyed by the 1909 fire, was demolished. In its place was built the great conference room and the Senate room with glass roofs in order to enable natural lightning. The other sections of the building retained their original form with the exception of the floor that was replaced by a layer of beton arme. A new entrance was constructed in the northern part of the building.
The great conference room
The Greek Parliament by Night! The Senate was the first to move into the building of the Old Palace on the 2nd of August 1934. Parliament moved there a year later on the 1st of July 1935 and the Fifth National Assembly began its work. The monument of the Unknown Soldier, constructed by the architect Lazaridis, was placed in the yard of the Old Palace in 1932 and remains, ever since, the epicentre of national celebrations.
The building houses the Parliament since 1935, with only a few exceptions during the dictatorship of Metaxas, the German conquest and the coup that was staged by junta (stratocracy) on April the 21st, 1967.
<<<Back Top
© Copyright 2002: Doxakis Eustratios, Efthymiou Alexandros, Papalexiou Kostas